Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MFPI) has launched a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) – National Mission on Food Processing (NMFP) during 12th Plan (2012-13) for implementation through States / UTs. The basic objective of NMFP is decentralization of implementation of Ministry’s schemes, which will lead to substantial participation of State Governments / UTs. The NMFP contemplates establishment of a National Mission as well as corresponding Missions in the State and District level. NMFP is likely improve significantly the Ministry’s outreach in terms of planning, supervision and monitoring of various schemes.
- To augment the capacity of food processors working to upscale their operations through capital infusion, technology transfer, skill Upgradation and handholding support.
- To support established self help groups working in food processing sector to facilitate them to achieve SME status.
- Capacity development and skill upgradation through institutional training to ensure sustainable employment opportunities to the people and also to reduce the gap in requirement and availability of skilled manpower in food processing sector.
- To raise the standards of food safety and hygiene to the globally accepted norms.
- To facilitate food processing industries to adopt HACCP and ISO certification norms.
- To augment farm gate infrastructure, supply chain logistic, storage and processing capacity.
- To provide better support system to organized food processing sector.